Saturday, February 20, 2010

Leaving

“So Abram left, as the LORD had told him...” Genesis 12:4

Leaving. Not a welcomed walk. Surrendering the comforts of our present 'home' for a fresh abiding. It could be physical, but more often it is emotional. Letting go of the familiar and embracing the foreign. Relinquishing the now for the new. If God is truly my hearts desire, why is that letting go so difficult? Why is it not easy to abandon all else for the pursuit of the Lover of my soul?

Maybe God is opening an opportunity for ministry, yet the steps seem uncertain. Waiting for clearer vision, desiring divine confirmation, we are hesitant to take that next step. The invitation was extended, but direction either way has been unclear. If we believe God is in control of our life, and everything that touches us is first sifted through His hands of allowance, could this not be His request? The Lord frequently uses His children in our lives as counselors and guides. Would this leaving and following bring God glory? Would faith be required and strengthened?

I was thinking about another area of my life where I've been seeking God's direction. I desire so much that a voice from heaven would just boom down in great clarity making my obedience easier. But God is not after ease. As His silence has remained, I'm wondering...is the unsettled feeling His Spirit? Is the longing for change His sign? He gives us the desires of our hearts (Psalm 37:4). Is this desire the planting of the Lord and He is waiting to see if I will surrender something I love for Someone I love? Do I love Him more? Maybe God doesn't always make every decision perfectly clear for the purpose of revealing our heart. In our choosing we show our allegiance as to whether we love the Lord just in word, of if our lives are completely His, willingly following Him anywhere in everything. There's a sacrifice required, yet how can I even begin to compare this giving up with the cost of Christ's sacrifice.

It is only human to want to see before we step out on a new path with God, yet the call alone should evoke the obedience. I like all my “ducks in a row”. When I plan a vacation, before leaving home my itinerary is settled. Hotels booked. Destination planned. Steps of faith don't come that neatly organized. New journey's require leaving behind and facing the uncertain and unknown. Trying to carry the past into my present will weigh heavily and slow down my walk, dragging my feet as I carry the needs from a previous season. God is saying, “Let it go!”

I believe it was Oswald Chambers who wrote that we cannot worry about the positions or people left behind. God is aware of their needs and He will supply for the gap left due to our obedience. Our remaining and refusal to respond to the Lord will only rob another of their opportunity to answer God's call.

What has God been asking of you? Where have you felt that struggle and conflict of interest between you and God? Throw off all that hinders and like Abram, go without knowing all the details. Just take His hand. He will lead you to His Promise Land.

So Joy left, as the LORD had told her...



post signature

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Joy...I thought you were writting this for my benefit! Thank you!!

Danielle said...

Girl! You have such a way with words. They reach into my heart and make me question and ponder and seek the LORD.

Sharon Sloan said...

I love that: "the call alone should evoke obedience"!

Praying His clear direction for you. He is faithful. He is a clear, uncomplicated God.

Excited to hear all the Lord is doing in your life when you are ready to share that.

I will pray this scripture for you:
Psalm 90:17
May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us— yes, establish the work of our hands.

May He establish the work of your heart and hands, Joy!

Sharon

Lori said...

B E A U T I F U L words, dear Joy! Absolutely beautiful words from your heart, as only you can do!

Love the verse Sharon is praying for you! I will too! Hugs, Lori

Tulabell said...

Wow your post hit me right on the nose today! I was just talking to my husband about this same thing...I too have not heard his counsel in what seems like a long time, and my husband reminded me that in the beginning he leads us to him and feeds us as if feeding the mouth of babes...and now he has let go but with open arms and letting us seek him on our own.

I've been planning for our vacation this upcoming week and I too have to have all things in place...just the way I like it. I agree with you that I would want my walk with God this easy but it is all about keeping the faith and trusting in Him!

Kathy Schwanke said...

I love being on the brink of the next adventure! Susie Larson holds out her arm and says "we need to always be doing something that is beyond our reach/ability....then it is faith".

I pray the Lord will make your way known!
Blessings!
Kathy

Amy said...

Thank you so much for this post. It speak right to where I am. God has showen me the finish line of my race but He has not shown me the race route to get there.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Wow! This is DEEP Joy!!!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Patrinas Pencil said...

Joy, I can't remember how I found your place - saw your comment somewhere or your place listed on another's place.

But I'm glad that I was directed to your spot. You have a beautiful way with words!! What an easy read your post was. (I read your older post as well) God is using you to speak to all of us through your honesty and your open windows to your soul.

His Presence is everything!! He has you right where He wants you! Pondering His Presence. As you ponder, He is there right in the midst of your ponderings. Draw nearer and you will hear His gentle whisper. It's the whisper that stills the whole world to LISTEN. His purpose in the whisper is to draw all men unto Himself.

He hasn't moved...He isn't silent...He's just whispering! What He has to say to you requires an intimacy with HIm that you may have never known before. Listen from a deeper view and you'll eventually hear His heart strings sing to you.

"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zeph 3:17

Patrina <")>><

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, you know what I'm thinking...

Time to go! Perhaps I need to wrangle you from Canada, put you in the back seat and force you to travel cross country with me on a road trip. Wouldn't that be something?

Leaving is hard, especially when we cannot see the path up ahead, but when the leaving is from God (and I happen to believe that he is faithful to plant the "signs" if we are willing to "look" for them), it is good and right and just exactly the next step we need to take to get us where he wants us to be.

And really, that place is only one place...

Effective, kingdom ministry.

Honestly, who wants to be a dud for Jesus? He's worthy of so much more.

peace~elaine

CC said...

Beautiful Joy. Thank you. CC

Lisa Smith said...

Can't wait to see where you're headed and journey there with you, sweet friend. xoxo

Angela said...

Oh my, thank you so much for this powerful devotional. I love your blog's name..pondering in His presence..sigh...

Congrats on being nominated top 100

achristianmommy said...

Your words remind me of how I uncertainly followed God to start my own blog to inspire other moms to grow closer to God. In the past, I let my fear and lack of confidence stop me from pursuing my dream of becoming a writer. Just a couple of weeks ago, I started my own blog, and I've been truly blessed by hearing how it has touched other mother's lives. Thank you for reminding us of how faithful God is when we take that first step to follow His direction.

Shanda said...

"Trying to carry the past into my present will weigh heavily and slow down my walk, dragging my feet as I carry the needs from a previous season. God is saying, “Let it go!”"

My husband and I are "feel" a move coming soon. No details, just done with where we are at. We've moved cross country twice in the last year and a half and I wonder if this sense of discontent is what I will always feel or is it just part of the journey.

Thanks for your post...
I'm ready to let it go. On to the next season. Thank you.

prashant said...

You have such a way with words. They reach into my heart and make me question and ponder and seek the LORD.
home jobs india