Friday, January 1, 2010

Live, Love, Laugh

Live Love Laugh

I’ve seen decorative signs with those three words so often.

Words without meaning to me…until today.

Today I did all three.

Today I gave myself permission to abandon agenda.

I awoke shortly after 7am. I quietly crept downstairs to a dimly lit corner to commune with the Lord while my guys slumbered. I was struggling with letting go of 2009. Why I’d want to hold on is beyond me, yet surrendering it to yesterday and embracing today was frightening me. What would 2010 hold?

The Lord heard my questions, and opening my devotional I read, “To those who are anxious comes the gracious promise…He is the Source of our mercies, mercy will never fail us.” “The Father comes near to take our hand and lead us on our way today. It will be a good and blessed New Year.” “The land you are…to take possession of…it is a land the LORD your God cares for; the eyes of the LORD your God are continually on it from the beginning of the year to it’s end.” (Deut.11:11-12)

Reading this, and even remembering it now, His power permeates my entire being, empowering me to trust. I decided I would live today to the full, filled with His fullness.

I did three loads of laundry. Ironed 15 dress shirts. (My two men like to look nice!)Washed a sink full of dishes by hand. Took time to prepare a special lunch for my guys. Wrote eight hand-written, snail mail notes to friends. My guys and I played a game of Scrabble. Words, imagined and real appeared to squeals of delight. Dictionaries were consulted. Dictionaries were questioned. Dictionaries were discarded. I threw my head back and laughed so hard. Laughter has been such a stranger. I honestly can’t remember the last time I knew such unbridled joy. I watched a couple of movies tonight just for the sheer pleasure of doing so. They didn't have a lesson or a moral. They were just fun. Around 9pm, I made a cup of tea, just for me. Serious and sensible were surrendered for silly.

Free from pressures, expectations, perfection and pleasing others. Releasing myself from personal mandates, deadlines and commitments. Today I lived…I loved…I laughed.

No longer an alliteration on a decorative plaque.

Words that breathe, feel and dance.

Words that held me in their embrace today.

I think this will be my theme song for 2010.





post signature

5 comments:

Genny said...

To abandon the agenda... something I want to do more of in 2010! Thanks for the inspiration.

Happy New Year, Joy!

Hugs,
Genny

Leah Adams said...

Good for you, my friend. I know I need to do that more often....much more often.

Would love for you and any of your readers to join us over at The Point for Challenge 2010: Scripture Memory challenge.

Leah

Lori said...

Ahh, Joy, I just love what you wrote today! It's what I needed to hear. You continue to speak wisdom to me! Hugs, Lori

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I can just imagine you there, enjoying your day. Wish I had your energy friend.

After a year like you've lived, I think you're due for some living, loving, and laughing...

although, I can't imagine you any other way.

You delight my heart.

peace~elaine

~Grace and Peace said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! It must be if joy was found in doing dishes by hand. :) I can picture you all in that scrabble game, too. What a blessing.