Thursday, January 21, 2010

Call Me Crazy

Well, if you read my post from Tuesday, you know that I'm on a new adventure with the Lord. I shared with a friend yesterday morning how I am praying each day for the Lord to give me an opportunity to choose courage and she told me I was crazy.

You know what? I don't mind being called crazy for the Lord.

I don't mind being crazy if each day requires that I depend on Him a little more.

Crazy sounds great if I'm walking towards faith and away from fear.

I'd much rather live crazy in love with Jesus and following Him, then afraid. Let me tell you. I've lived with constant anxiety for years and it just wasn't working for me.

So, do you want to know what I did yesterday?

I have a membership at a Fitness Center where they have a walking track. I try and go daily and I walk at least two miles. There is one 'catch' with this track. It is, for lack of a better description, suspended on a second floor. The architectural design of this truly is amazing. As you walk you are entertained by the activity around and below. The problem? I'm afraid of heights!

Every day so far it has been a major challenge to go and use this facility. I didn't want to look down on skaters, swimmers, volleyball players, weight trainers, people coming and going in an open hall. I literally have to force my feet to keep moving while my palms sweat and my heart beats quicker (Which of course isn't bad considering I'm there for the cardio!)

There is one small section of the track that resembles a catwalk. It's a narrow, elevated walkway with railings on both sides. Approaching it, my knees always go weak. Yesterday this was my 'Goliath'. Knowing it was taunting me with threats of defeat, I began claiming God's promises.

“(Joy), preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble” Proverbs 3:21-23.

Sound judgment. Good, proper and right assessment.

Discernment. True understanding and perception.

Wearing a necklace of truth, my foot will not stumble walking in God's wisdom. (As an aside, I was wearing my "peace for the journey" necklace from my friend, Elaine. I don't think I'll be leaving home without it these days. A great visual reminder and word of assurance that the Lord brings peace as I walk with Him.)

I walked that track 26 times yesterday and gained glorious victory. Just once I felt that flutter of panic as I glanced over and witnessed a man on scaffolding washing the glass windows at such height, while standing on such a small platform.

Who knows? Maybe one day!

For now, just call me crazy!

(If you think of it today, would you pray for my son, Chris. At 2pm this afternoon he will be trying his A.R.C.T. Solo Performer's piano exam. Two adjudicators will be coming down from the Royal Conservatory of Music and Chris will play for an hour - all by memory! He must receive at least 70% on each piece to pass. Please pray that the Lord will enable him to do his very best and that nothing would confuse, startle, distract or detour him from giving his best performance. He has worked so hard and this is the culmination of 13 years of lessons. It would be so wonderful if he could have this completed now, as his next semester in High School will be very challenging and in the Fall he heads off to University. Thanks for much for your prayers. I think my 'fear not' challenge today will be sitting outside the examination room in peace and enjoying this final performance.)



post signature

7 comments:

Leah Adams said...

You go girl!! I feel your pain, though. I do not like heights either. That looking down thing makes me dizzy...as if I was not already dizzy enough.

Praying for your son.

Leah

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Next stop, bungee jumping! So proud of you my friend; first, for seeing the need of your heart, and second, for doing something about it! You're my hero, and yes, prayers for Chris.

peace~elaine

Lisa Smith said...

Joy that is so awesome! God is taking you to great "heights" this year ;0

my 2010 is my Year of No Fear and although I haven't asked for it, the Lord has indeed given me a challenge for each day. May I be found living "more than"

much love and prayers for you and Chris today

Sharon Sloan said...

I don't think you are crazy at all! If you are, sign me up, too!

www.crazylovebook.com


:)

Danielle said...

Oh, I am so proud of you! What an awesome testimony to how we are conquerors in Christ!

How did Chris do?

Lori said...

Crazy in love with Jesus! Oh, Joy, I just love this new you! I could use a little less fear and a lot more craziness in my own life, too. We can walk along besides each other, clinging to God, together! Smile...

Love, hugs, and prayer's coming your way! Lori

~Grace and Peace said...

My dear sister is reaching new heights for the Lord! Yay!!!!! I can't wait to catch up on your adventures. Yes, I'll take crazy for Jesus any day!