Friday, November 20, 2009

Precept or Preference

"...you sin against other believers by encouraging them to do something they believe is wrong..." 1 Corinthians 8:12

This verse is powerful. To me it means that we must hold to the convictions that God has placed on our hearts, but not condemn or criticize others with contrary preferences. Yes, there are some absolute truths that cannot be negotiated, but so many of the differences believers face do not fall into the precept catagory. Most often we struggle with personal choice.

If the Lord places a conviction on my heart in one area, I must be true to the standard that God has called me to hold. If my sister in the Lord has a different view in that area, I must accept her opinion and honour her committment to the Lord. Trying to encourage anyone to go against their belief before God is wrong. We all must be obedient to the Lord's voice over our lives and not be the cause of another's stumble.



post signature

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Very, very good thoughts on this verse Joy! Thoughts we should remember in our every day living.

Hope all is going well with you and your family.

Marilyn...in Mississippi