Friday, November 27, 2009

A Not So Simple Song

"If we live, it's to honor the Lord. And if we die, it's to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." Romans 14:8

I have a friend, Deanna, with six children who all have been blessed with amazing musical ability. Their harmonies are absolutely gorgeous and they have recorded two CD's. They call themselves, "simplesong", the name of their title track, a song Deanna's daddy, Ross Seabrook wrote. The lyrics say:

"Come and sing a simple song of Jesus
Sing it like you never sang before
Tell it everywhere; He is alive and cares
Give no place to doubting anymore

Chorus:
If I live, praise the Lord
If I die, praise the Lord
If I live or die, my only cry
Will be Jesus in me, praise the Lord."

I can't tell you the number of times I have pulled that CD out and listened to this song when life was going well. It requires little effort to sing the lyrics loudly when the living is easy. What about when uncertainties are scattered on the path? Can my voice find volume? Is this still a "simple song"?

At times along our journey we have to come face to face with this truth. Can I say with Paul in Philippians 1:21, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain"? Although we can reason that truth in our heads, the struggle to surrender still comes. Yes, "in acceptance lieth peace".

A crossroad of decision. A resolute position taken. Ofen times through tears. Singing today a not so simple song.

post signature

3 comments:

~Grace and Peace said...

Standing alongside you...
Praying for the peace of God that passes all understanding.

Brandee said...

Just read your news Joy, yeah! Praying for a complete disappearance :)

Heather - On the Road... said...

Sweet Joy,
When you wrote, "Although we can reason that truth in our heads, the struggle to surrender still comes," you were describing exactly what I have wanted to write about in a post...

Yes. That is where I am at. Knowing the truth and struggling to let God have the control.

Not for myself, but for a friend... surrendering that friend to Gods tender care... trusting Him for the best for her. His best, not mine.

Trusting His best for you too, my dear friend. Thank you for sharing yourself with all of us there.
Love you so much.
Heather