Thursday, October 29, 2009

Removing My Robe

“So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him.” John 13: 4-5

He “took off his robe”. Jesus lay aside His garments and put on servanthood. What do I need to remove in order to serve? I think the number one enemy to serving is pride. Christ knew it, and the disciples proved it. Peter did not want Christ to wash his feet. Why? Pride. None of the other disciples offered to do this act of service. Why? Pride.

The only way pride can be defeated is through service. We must migrate our heart and attitude from ‘me’ and ‘my’ to ‘you’ and ‘yours’. When we do this Christ surgically cuts out pride.

After taking off self, we need to put our Jesus on. He was not into titles, but towels. He washed the feet of all His disciples. He even washed Judas' feet , knowing those feet would walk away and betray Him. Christ set an example for us to even love and serve the person we’d like to write-off. It’s hard to minister to our “Judas”. It’s not natural and if we haven’t dealt with our pride issue, it will be impossible to do what Jesus is asking of us.

John 13:1 tells us that Christ loved them “to the very end”. Unfailing love gives us the desire to go beyond the natural to the supernatural. Asking the Lord to give me that love today. Father, fill me with humility that will remove my robe and wash some feet in Your Name, I pray.



post signature

2 comments:

~Grace and Peace said...

Very convicting today...As I try to write off a co-worker for being beyond help. I need to have her see Jesus in me. Thanks for allowing the Holy Spirit to work through you and steer me back.

Unreasonable Grace said...

A reminder that I need EVERY day. Thanks, Joy.
kim