Friday, October 30, 2009

Home

“‘Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home.’” John 14:1-2

Home. Ken Gire writes “Of all the images used to describe heaven - Paradise, a Kingdom, the Celestial City - none is so compelling an image as home.”

What memories do thoughts of home stir in you? Is it the feel of hardwood under your feet? What about the aroma of cookies coming out of the oven upon your arrival home from school? The sound of the lawn mower and the smell of freshly cut grass. Sunday afternoon solitude before extended family arrived for the evening meal. The sound of the kettle boiling. Hearing the laughter of neighbourhood children finishing a game of “Hide and Seek” before darkness summoned them away. New pyjama’s received during a time of illness. Gifts given for no occasion. Hands held for Family Worship every evening. Wallpaper. Area rugs. Game nights. Weekend cartoons. Music. Love.

I have no memories of my Father’s house, only imaginings. Rooms. Gold. No illness. Free of pain and fear. No war, pollution, death, disease, sorrow or tears. My best thoughts are still lacking. Uncertain of what awaits me there, I know who will meet me there.

Thank You Lord for preparing a place for me. Help me to remember that I am not home yet. In heaven my restless heart will find its rest.



post signature

1 comment:

On Purpose said...

The boys and I talked about what heaven will be like this morning...it was so fun to hear them speak with such anticipation and excitement! It was seeing Joy lived out!