Sunday, October 4, 2009

Amazing

“When Jesus heard this, he was amazed.” Matthew 8:10

Watching “America’s Got Talent” a little girl sings with ability beyond her years. A dance routine is absolutely incredible. An instrumentalist plays a piece so difficult I marvel how his fingers can move so quickly. I am amazed.

Amazing moments. Did you know Jesus only had two of them recorded in Scripture? One was concerning lack of faith (Mark 6:6), and the other reflecting on great faith.

Can you even imagine Jesus being amazed? After all, what would be that marvellous to Him? He’s God! What would be so wonderfully unexpected that He would be amazed? It was a man with great faith.

Makes me stop and ponder. Would He be amazed at my faith?

What would it take to having amazing faith? In looking at this event recorded in Matthew 8:5-13, first we see the centurion’s crisis of faith. A young servant lies in bed, paralyzed and in terrible pain (vs.6). Disease is presenting a difficulty and possibly death. The circumstance appears critical and the Roman officer is at a turning point, and he knows exactly where to turn.

After acknowledging his crisis of faith, we see his confident faith. He believed with just a word, Jesus could heal his servant. With conviction and confession he shares his assurance in the abilities of the Savoir.

We also see a confirmed faith, as verse 13 tells us, “And the young servant was healed that same hour.” God’s word attests to the miracle.

This man who amazed Christ knew that God is a God of distance. Distance never limit’s God. He can just think a thought or breathe a word and something happens. He understands God’s divine authority. He is Sovereign God over nature, disease, demons, death and destiny. Time and space do not constrain the Lord. This Roman officer had a faith that embraced God entirely. We see in verse 6 that this man demonstrated the true characteristics of a disciple by calling Christ, “Lord”. This officer who was accustomed to giving commands, and was no stranger to commitment and courage, was filled with compassion for his servant.

As I read this passage over, not only was the centurion’s faith amazing, his love was amazing, his mercy was amazing, and his humility was amazing.

Wouldn’t you like to be one who amazes Jesus? Lord, only You can give to me that amazing faith, but my heart must be willing. As You spoke in Capernaum you exclaimed, “I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel!” As you look over Canada, the United States and other parts of the world, Your eyes go to and fro looking for those who are completely Yours. (2 Chronc.16:9) Would Your eyes rest on me? Would I cause Your heart to be amazed because of my amazing love, amazing mercy, amazing humility and amazing faith? Father, my heart knows the answer. I surrender to Your changing work in me.

post signature

1 comment:

Deb said...

I want to have that kind of faith in Him.

To wait expectantly.

For the "immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine."

That comes as a result of His love.

And as a result of His power working in us.

And, Joy, once again I'm convicted by your message.

Sweet dreams.