Monday, September 28, 2009

Win/Win

“…everyone is going to him instead of coming to us.” John 3:26

Do you hear the envy and jealousy? My Pastor pointed out this exact same lesson yesterday morning using a different passage of scripture.

In Numbers 11:24-30 Joshua was struggling with the same issues as John’s disciples, when two men came forward and began prophesying in the camp. Joshua said to Moses, “Moses, my lord, restrain them.’ But Moses said to him, ‘Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the LORD’s people were prophets, that the LORD would put His Spirit upon them!’”

This is crucial to learn. There is no place for petty in God’s Kingdom.

As my Pastor explained, in the secular world we are often promoted to positions of success because others have failed, but this is not so in God’s world. We are a body. When one of us wins, we all win. God is the only one who appoints and removes.

How do you feel when someone else is chosen in an area where you are over-looked? Can you truly rejoice with those who rejoice? It’s hard sometimes.

To put it in perspective a question needs asking. Do you view what you’re doing as your work or God’s work? Who get’s the glory? As my Pastor went on to say, there can be no ego, protection of position, competition or self-promotion. There is only One who should receive any accolades, and it isn’t you or me.

When God is our only real satisfaction, we can be successful whatever we do.

John’s response is so beautiful. “I am filled with joy at his success. He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.” John 3:29-30

Lord, I admit to sometimes being insecure about my place in the Kingdom. Father, I invite you to do a new work in my heart. Do not quickly release me from this lesson that You have now repeated two days in a row. May I find my rest in You.



post signature

2 comments:

~Grace and Peace said...

How very timely ~ that's all I have to say.

Anonymous said...

What an excellent reminder that all that we do must be for Christ's glory alone. There is no room for self-recognition and certainly none of us wish to lose our reward because we have accepted the accelades of men. Thanks Joy...Elizabeth Berry