Wednesday, September 2, 2009

One Word Reputation

“These men had a great reputation as mighty warriors and leaders of their clans.” 1 Chronicles 5:24

Reputation. Notoriety for some particular characteristic. The general estimation that the public has for a person. A social evaluation. How you are known, e.g. coward, clever, funny etc…

These men had a great reputation as mighty warriors and leaders. WOW! Walking down the street, heads must have turned as they passed by. Reminds me of the verse in Proverbs 31 that speaks of the husband of this virtuous woman as being well known in the city gates. He had a good reputation.

Years ago I sent an e-mail to several close friends asking them to describe me in one word. Their answers were revealing. I feel they were an honest reflection, but it was an eye-opening exercise as well. How we are seen vs. how we’d like to be known. Sometimes they can be polar opposites.

Regardless of all the adjectives and nouns that could be used in describing my character, more than anything I want others to see Jesus in me. I pray people would forget my name, but remember His. Would I be labelled as a witness? Am I accused of being an ambassador for Jesus Christ?

On her CD entitled, “Freedom”, Mandisa sings a song called, “The Definition of Me”. The lyrics in the chorus say:

“I want the One that you can’t see
To be the definition of me…
I want the truth that I believe
To be the definition of me.”

What one word would Jesus use to describe me?



post signature

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I might just do this exercise and email a few people. One word, what would my Jesus say. Going to be rolling that one around all day.

Hugs from this missionary mommy,
Sarah Dawn

~Grace and Peace said...

I don't know if I'm ready for this exercise, yet. What would my Jesus say about me? Hmm, worrier comes to mind.

Thanks for your posts. They always make me look at the various angles of my Christian walk - and how I can improve.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I would truly be very curious to know how people would describe me in one word! Might be a fun thing to do sometime!

As to how Jesus would describe me??? I'm really "afraid" it would be FEARFUL! :(

Love you my friend!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Sharon Sloan said...

That was very trusting and courageous of you....one word.
Wow! Hmmm.....I may do that! What a great idea, Joy! (you are amazing!)

I want my reputation to reflect Him...to point to Him....His mercy and grace. Yet, amazingly, He made Himself of no reputation for us...

Phil. 2:7-9
But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."




Phl 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: