Friday, August 7, 2009

Three Men and a God

“I see four men…” Daniel 3:25

Every time I read this account in Daniel and come to this line I get goose bumps. “I see four men…” Three were thrown into the fiery furnace, but four were viewed standing among the flames. Not only that, but king Nebuchadnezzar immediately recognized the fourth as looking “like a god.”

Makes me wonder. When people look at me do they ever see anyone else? Is God’s presence visible? Being an identical twin, people often think there are two of me, but that’s not the double vision I am referring to here. What I want to know, does anyone ever see the Lord walking with me, sitting with me, shopping with me, accompanying me as I go about my daily tasks?

I’ve heard thrilling missionary stories of when the angel of the Lord appeared, offering protection in dangerous situations.

His Word tells me that His angel encamps around about those who fear Him and He delivers them, Psalm 34:7.

God tells me, “Lo, I am with you always.” Matthew 28:20

Is His presence in me obvious to others? Does anyone ever see Jesus when they look at me?

God stands with us when life gets “hot”. Our furnace may not involve physical flames. Our fiery furnace could be unemployment, health issues, loss, relationship struggles, financial setbacks, fear, a prodigal child, loneliness, depression, aging, deep hurt, failure, feelings of unworthiness, or any circumstance beyond our control.

Be confident in the reality of God’s power, presence and passion for you when in the ’furnace.’

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.' Isaiah 43:2



post signature

5 comments:

Lori said...

Joy, the following verse came to my mind as I was reading your post today: "For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go." Psalm 91:11
It is so reassuring to know that our God is with us 100% of the time. "He controls the course...of events." Daniel 2:21 Praise you Father! Thank you for always being with me.

Hugs, Lori - AZ

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

I soooo needed this today! Thank you for being a word from the Lord for me!

Blessings,
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspotcom

On Purpose said...

Thank you my friend for this HUGE love note from my Jesus this morning. There is comfort to be found here for me today (and all others who read this) knowing that God will protect and keep His children safe!

And to answer your question...YES when people look at you they can't help but see Jesus...because you walk so closely to Him!

~Grace and Peace said...

Joy,
That verse in Daniel also give me the chills. The question you asked made me pause: Can others see God with me? Well, maybe during Sunday service when the backdrop is our sanctuary. It is easy to get all holy there. But in my everyday life where the backdrop is my yet-again-messy house, not so much. The kids probably sees somebody with me but I doubt if it's God!
Thank you for putting this in a new perspective. You always make me think.
Keep doing what you're doing, dear sister.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

God has been through more than a furnace with me. Your question, though, echoes one that one of our local priests always asks. I think it is a very good one. "Knowing you, would people want to know your God?" (Every day I asked God to flow His love through me and splash it onto others so that, yes, they will want to know my God -- and frequently that happens. Moreover, my workplace which was a strong setting for separation of church and state has become a place where people of all religions are comfortable talking about God in their lives and sharing their up moments and down moments with each other.