Sunday, August 30, 2009

Living the Name

…they brought shame on my holy name.” Ezekiel 36:20

A couple of weeks ago I heard a powerful story. It was told of Alexander the Great, one of the greatest military generals the world has ever known. Apparently one night he couldn’t sleep, so he went for a walk among the tents on the campground.

He came across a solider who was sleeping while on duty. This was a very serious offence, with the penalty most often being death. As Alexander the Great came closer, his footsteps aroused the sleeping solider. Recognizing who was before him, the solider feared for his life.

Alexander the Great asked him, “Soldier, do you know the penalty for falling asleep on guard duty?”

“Yes sir”, the soldier responded in a quivering voice.

In a demanding tone, Alexander the Great inquired, “Soldier, what is your name?”

“Alexander, sir”

Alexander the Great repeated this question three times, and each time the same response came.

Alexander the Great, looking directly at the soldier, said with intensity, “either change your name or change your life.”

As Christ-followers, we too must live up to a name. Is my life reflective of the name I carry? If I call myself a Christian, am I bringing honour or shame to His name? God guards His name. James 2:7 warns us not to blaspheme the fair name by which we have been called. 1 Peter 4: 16 encourages us to glorify God in His name. 2 Timothy 2:19 says that the Lord knows who are His and everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wicked behaviour.

Today, do you need to change your name or change your life?



post signature

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Joy, I am always blessed when I ponder with you in His presence. May the life I live be a sweet aroma of Christ to the nations.

Blessings,
Sarah Dawn