Sunday, July 26, 2009

Unplugged

"Come to me with your ears wide open." Isaiah 55:3

Over the past two weeks I've had very limited hearing. I described it as being underwater in a tunnel. Due to this physical handicap, I have missed enjoying the clarity of birds singing and music playing. Voices over the phone were dulled. One day while driving, it was only thanks to vehicles ahead of me pulling over to the side of the road that I became aware of an ambulance approaching.

If my physical hearing can be so impaired, what about this spiritual sense? What might block or clog my ears that would keep me from hearing God's voice?

Time. Am I even pausing to give Him opportunity to speak?

Openness. Do I reallly want to hear what God has to say to me?

Unforgiveness. God does not hear, and therefore cannot answer, if my sin has clogged His ears (Isaiah 59:1-2).

Impatience. Am I being still long enough to listen?

Distractions. Are too many other thoughts crowding out His voice?

Position. Have I come away to a quiet place?

Preparation. Is my heart ready to hear?

Attitude. Have I come expecting God to speak to me?

Desire. How desperate am I to hear His voice?

Fear. Am I afraid He will give me directions I don't want to obey?

"Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.

Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my ears, illumine me,
Spirit divine!"

"'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.'" 1 Samuel 3:9



post signature

4 comments:

Lori said...

Joy, You opened up this verse! He is telling us to, "come," but, it's our job to listen! To intentionally position ourselves in a quite place to spend with Him.

Lord, thank you for always giving me one more drink. My heart quenches for you. Thank you for your sweet presence. I want to intentionally keep my ears wide open. Speak, for I too, am listening. Amen.

Lori - AZ

Danielle said...

Oh, how many times have I positioned myself in a place where I couldn't hear God. Thank the Lord He never gives up!

My ears and my heart are open to you, Lord.

Thanks, Joy!

Sarah said...

Oh what joy to find this blog! Lord, teach me through this dear sister and use her words to splash the nations for your glory.

Hugs from this missionary mommy,
Sarah Dawn

Raylene said...

Joy~What you shared is really good! I've been giving thought to alot of what you listed...especially the "impatience"...I want to "be still & KNOW that he is God! Trusting that he will work out every detail for us. A word was given this morning at church about seeing things from a heavenly view instead of an earthly view on "why" we are going thru some of these trials....I thought that was good! Raylene