Monday, July 20, 2009

Rising Again

"...though I fall, I will rise again." Micah 7:8

I was shelving new books when I heard my employer call my name. Only being weeks on the job and wanting to respond promptly, I turned quickly, and in so doing, caught my foot in a delivery box I was unpacking. Within seconds I was completely sprawled out face down on the hard, thinly carpeted, cement floor. With nose tingling and eyes watering from the impact, I sprang to my feet. More embarrassed than injured, I hurried to the counter to serve a customer. Although shaken, I refused any attention. No broken bones, just battered pride. As they say, you can't keep a good woman down!

Are all recoveries made so quickly and easily? Physically we may be laid up for a season, but often emotional, mental and spiritual falls take longer to heal. Outwardly there may be no bruising, but inwardly wounds cut deep. On a downward spiral, the bottom has been knocked out of your life and there is no edge to regain footing.

Stumbling blocks of low self-esteem, insecurity, pride, fear, unworthiness, rejection, captivity, shame, doubt and judgment are rocks on the path of life that cause my feet to slip. James 3:2 says, "We all stumble in many ways." Yet, Psalm 37:23-24 tells me, "If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand."

Like those little "Weebles" that wobble, but don't stay down, the Lord picks us back up. We will fall, but we will rise again. We have a God who specializes in resurrection. Not rising in my own strength, I can have confidence in the One who has already risen.



post signature

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I absolutely LOVE your writing style. So honest and beautiful!

I know that I've stumbled and fallen a great many times, but PTL, He picks me up and dusts me off and sets me on the path again. Oh, that my feet would be sure on this path of life... but I am sure that His path is straight and I just need to follow, whether I stumble a bit or completely fall. It's my faith in Him and assurance that He can and will pick me up again, only if I would ask.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, you're little but you're definitely not a weeble--have you seen those people? They're fat!

Anyway, off point. I think sometimes our "healing" is hindered by our bouncing up too quickly, dusting ourselves off, and pretending the internal injury less severe. When someone asks us if we're "hurt" or "broken" how much better would it be if we just fessed up and asked for some help?

From one fallen to another, so glad we're together on the road.

peace~elaine

Tulabell said...

So inspiring to a writer! I am working on my own blog - I have two also - and am always trying to figure out how to get my emotions out through my fingers.

So humbling to a Child of God!
I love that Jesus did what He did for us so that we will wobble but not fall down! What great Love!