Friday, July 10, 2009

Fear Less or Fearless

“Praise the LORD! How joyful are those who fear the LORD and delight in obeying his commands. They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them. They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly.” Psalm 112:1, 7-8

After hearing the speaker’s introductory phrase, I was lost in thought. “Imagine a day without fear."

It would have to be “imagined” as I didn’t believe it was possible. Being little "Much Afraid", fear has been my constant companion through so many years that the thought of living a moment without it held me spellbound. Was it even possible?

A question interrupted my ponderings.

"You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"

This wasn't the first time Christ had thus inquired as I battle this enemy of fear. Joy, why are you so afraid?

Lord, I don't want to be. I long to have the trust in You that banishes all fear. Your Word says, "I will make peace flow to her like a river". (Isaiah 66:12) Lord, I want to experience that peace. A peace that isn't boring and dull like a stagnant pond, but like a river. Beth Moore writes that "Few bodies of water are more exciting than rivers! When God used the analogy of a river, He described a peace that can be retained while life twists and turns and rolls over boulders. It means to have security and tranquility while meeting many bumps and unexpected turns on life's journey."

Father, I don't want to just fear less, but be fearless. Lord teach me how to fear You and delight in Your commands so that I can experience that confident trust and face my fears triumphantly.



post signature

1 comment:

On Purpose said...

I picture a fast flowing river that leaves no time for me to fear!