Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sidetracked

"Don't get sidetracked..." Proverbs 4:27

Well...I sure did today! Here it is, almost 11pm, and I'm only now just sitting down to share some thoughts. The thing of it is...I had a free day!!! How is it possible, on a day when NOTHING was pressing, that I accomplished so little?

Sidetracked. To deviate, divert or delay. Yes, that was me today. I had a list of things a mile long to do, like cleaning bathrooms, washing floors, vacuuming, dusting, but the seconds became minutes, which became hours and before I knew it, the time had come for me to pick my son up from school. How did it happen?

I deliberately decided to deflect duties. After an hours walk in the rain and a coffee with my sister, I played "dress-up" with some clothes a friend left in a bag at my front door. The computer beckoned me, and I relented to it's call. Next I toured an old stomping ground and enjoyed tea with a friend. Laughter marked my afternoon. Not just little chuckles, but roll-on-the-floor, smile-'til-your-cheeks-hurt, healing laughter. Making supper was next on the agenda and then I hurried to my son's school for their three-hour music concert.

Yes, I got sidetracked from my plans today, but I think it put me in the center of God's plans for me. It was a good derailment.



post signature

3 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!I'm glad you had a "free day" and enjoyed yourself!

Marilyn

Unreasonable Grace said...

Sounds like you had one of MY favorite kind of days, although I call them rabbit trails. It's on those trails that I find unexpected delights that God has placed along the way for me to discover. There's a temporary distancing from the rest of the world on those trails that refreshes my soul, mind and body. And you have SO needed one of those for a long time now. Praying you get sidetracked again soon!
kim

Gillian Robinson said...

So glad you had a JOY Day, as in joyful, laughter and a day for Joy.
Being "sidetrack" is a good thing.
Gillian