Friday, May 29, 2009

Hopes and Happiness

"The hopes of the godly result in happiness..." Proverbs 10:28

In order to even consider my hopes resulting in happiness, I must first define 'godly'. Pious. Righteous. Practicing virtue and avoiding sin. Showing reverence for God. Honouring God in my conduct. Acknowledging His sovereignty. Being obedient to His Word. A godly person has counted the cost and continues pursuing holiness. I certainly haven't arrived, but I believe my feet are walking on the right path.

Today I long for my hopes to result in happiness. I know that I cannot claim this verse as a promise, as Wendy reminded us on Wednesday, but the possibility is offered. Solomon did observe a consistancy in this general truth.

Last night fresh hope was breathed into my soul. A window of opportunity just might be opening in regards to my Dad's long term care. Although we have been informed to expect at least an eight month stay a this present, unpleasant location, through a phone call we have been given hope that a move could take place much sooner. Oh friends, will you join me in praying for God to intervene? These 'hopes' would result in much happiness!

I realize these are circumstantial, conditional hopes, however, properly placed hope comes with a guarantee. All hope can result in happiness when placed in God because regardless of the outcome, I can know the joy of the Lord.

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits and in His Word I put my hope." Psalm 130:5



post signature

1 comment:

~Grace and Peace said...

Joy,
I am praying that the Lord will open the door to a better place for your Dad.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.