Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yahweh-Yireh

The compassion and provision of God. I wish I had so much more time this morning to share all that is in my heart. As I read the account of Hagar and Ismael (Gen 21:8-21), I was touched by the kindness of God. Although they were being justly punished for their behavior, God did not abandon them. He reminded Hagar of the promise concerning her son and then verse 19 says, "Then God opened Hagar's eyes, and she saw a well full of water." So caught up in her destitute circumstances, Hagar had failed to see the resource God has already provided. The well of water that would quench their thirst was right there, but she was unaware of it until God opened her eyes.

I have destitute family and friends who are thirsting for water, living water. The well is right there. All they need do is dip their empty life in and be filled, but they walk dry and dehydrated. The do not see the Source of water. Sometimes they must come to that place of desperation that Hagar visited before God opens their eyes and they recognize His supply.

Genesis 22:1 has never been a favourite verse of mine: "God tested Abraham's faith." Satan tempts us to sin, but God tests us to strengthen our faith. Abraham had unwavering faith that what God commands is good and His promises are sure. He demonstrates no doubt. He consults with no-one. He obeys. I rejoice in His confidence in his God when he says, "WE will worship there, and then WE will come right back" (capatilization mine). He believed he would not return alone. Whether God provided another sacrifice or even raised Isaac from the dead, Abraham believed and it was credited to him as righteousness (Romans 4:3).

I pray God would never ask me to sacrifice my son for any reason, but we all have "Isaacs" in our lives. There are things, people, positions etc...that God may ask us to place on the altar. God's Word says that we are to have no other gods beside Him. Sometimes we can love our "Isaacs" more than our God.

Abraham's love for the Lord foreshadowed a taste of God's love for us. Just as God provided a sacrificial lamb for Abraham, He provided a sacrificial Lamb for us, His One and only Son, but this time no other substitute would be accepted. No other substitute could be accepted.

The following telling of Isaac and Rebekah is so precious to read. Again my heart is captured by obedience. The obedience of a young girl to leave mother, father, family, homeland and follow.

As the servant is returning with Rebekah, they see Isaac "walking and meditating in the fields" (Gen 24:63). My mind would like to think he was even praying for his wife as he conversed with the Lord. Maybe he was already thanking Him for providing for he had been taught earlier to believe in Yahweh-Yireh, "the Lord will provide".

In closing, I loved Isaac's tender heart. The final verse of chapter 24 says, "He loved her (Rebekah) deeply and she was a special comfort to him after the death of his mother." In researching the time-line here, I discovered that Sarah and died about three years prior to this, and yet Isaac was not comforted until now. God not only provides for our physical needs, but our emotional, mental and spiritual needs as well.

Where do you need to see the provision of God today? Trust Him. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Lord will provide.



post signature

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love Isaac's love story. It really captures my romantic imagination. Sigh.

God's provision for me has been all around lately. He is really reminding me that He will never leave me and He is all that I need.

Worry comes natural to me, and I've really had to battle with it recently. God is so good, and He has reassured.

There is such peace in the knowledge of His provision.

:)Laura

Luanne said...

Thanks, Joy, for your insights, it is such a blessing to be on this journey with all of you sweet ladies!