Monday, July 14, 2008

Eat up!

"Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord's kindness."
1 Peter 2:2-3

This verse today reminded me of what I wrote here in my last post about the Israelites. They had to taste the new food in the Promised Land before the manna ceased. They had to eat it for themselves, a personal tasting. Second-hand savoring wasn't good enough.

God's Word provides all the nourishment we need and the more we feed on His truths the more our spiritual appetite will increase. One way to mature in Christ is by feasting on His Word. Nibbling and sampling doesn't suffice. As my Pastor shared with us a few weeks back, God's banqueting table is full. Every imaginable delicacy is available. Are you coming hungry in need of His filling? There is no need to ever walk away empty. He is our constant supply.

Life for today requires the provision of God today. Yesterday's manna will not satisfy. Apetite is developed through consistancy. Daily intake prevents spiritual starvation. Sadly, we too often eat out of habit, and not out of hunger. Ask the Lord to increase your desire for Him, so that you will have a constant craving. With desire comes the delight of knowing that God is more than enough.

"Every one who thirsts, come to the waters;...Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance." Isaiah 54:1-2

post signature

3 comments:

Yolanda said...

AMEN Siesta!

Perhaps, this is a GOOD post to read to your next study group!

Love ya and desiring to come HUNGRY!

Yolanda

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

I love this verse. When my mother was dying of cancer she whispered to me that she needed to get the meat from her Bible.

I now know what she meant.

This verse is so dear to my heart because of that experience.

Blessings, Joanne

Kay Martin said...

Ouch. You are stepping all over my tender self protective feet. I'm in a huge transition and it's time to get up and do what I know to do. I want to be fired up with internal motivation.

You're right....get up and eat. It's time to put to work what I already know. Forget the motivation within....do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Great post.