Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Promises

"Send some men to explore the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the Israelites."
Numbers 13:2


I find there are many times in Scripture were God gives a promise, but the receiving does not come without reason to doubt. The verse above speaks of the Israelites entering the "Promised Land". Regardless of what their exploration revealed, the possession was already secure. God had already confirmed the giving.


In Genesis 18 God promises Sarah a child. In the New Testament God promises the disciples that they will get into a boat and He will take them to the other side. Over and over again we can recount examples of God's promises to His people, yet often, because of present realities, they forgot promised revelations.


On March 18th the Lord gave me His promise. "The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." Psalm121:8 That was the very word I needed to hear to register for "She Speaks" in North Carolina and face my fear of flying. God was promising me His presence and ever watchful eye as I trusted Him and booked my flight. That scripture didn't promise a smooth ride, (travelling home was horrendous as this small plane was tossed around by violent storms), but He promised to be with me. I had to have faith that God would fulfill His promise despite the obstacles and wind calling me to doubt.


God's promises sometimes aren't fulfilled without struggle. During these times He is calling us to a deeper trust in Him. What has God promised you? Have faith to believe that He will do it.

Be sure to check my other blog, "Ponderings" for a more personal reflection of how I experienced God in a Big way!

post signature

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm alternating blogs with you, although I was able to peek at your other one. I love the fact that your son made a song list for you. What a great guy!

peace~elaine